Prophecies of Love
Some people, well…a lot of people…like to think they can manipulate things like romantic love–even how and when love will arrive. I have personally known people to do the following in order to bring love to their door. They…
- Lit red candles at the new moon while chanting secret words.
- Read through more than 650,000 Match.com profiles and sent at least 289 winks to people who have, sometimes, lied about things.
- Had their palms read, their irises diagnosed, their auras deciphered, their feet singed on hot coals (warning: don’t do this).
- Searched for high school crushes, college sweethearts, people they made eye contact with but never talked to on the subway.
- Washed their hair. Thoroughly.
- Read Love in the Time of Cholera.
- Watched Bell, Book, and Candle and gone to an animal shelter in search of a cat.
- Let the whole thing go, as in, —You know it always happens when you stop looking.
I have come to believe there are mysteries we cannot control.